Did you know the built environment is responsible for almost 40% of total global carbon emissions?
It’s statistics like this that have led to many businesses pledging to help reduce carbon emissions over the next decade. This has been agreed as recently as the end of 2021 where, following COP26, the World Green Building Council confirmed that 44 members will be reducing all operational emissions on new and existing buildings. When you break down the information further still, and in particular to office centric data, it becomes apparent what needs to be done.
While operational carbon (things such as powering lights, heating etc) is around 33% of the total carbon emissions, embodied carbon makes up the remaining 67%. Embodied carbon refers to carbon emissions related to the building process itself. The assumption is that carbon is produced at every stage of a building’s lifecycle, from materials extraction to waste disposal, including interior fit-out, maintenance and deconstruction.
It might seem like a single product has no impact on creating carbon, but viewing the bigger picture is essential and it’s important that you and your business are doing everything to help improve Carbon efficiency.